Sunday, April 17, 2011

Contemplations on Isaiah 40

We started the prayer set on Friday with Matthew 5 and the Sermon on the Mount. For unknown reasons, I followed by singing/contemplating Isaiah 40 beginning in verse 21-22 with this little chorus: "Do You not know, have you not heard... It's God Who sits above the circle of the earth." Little did I know that there is a clear path between the King's power and perspective and living in the King's value system.

As is often the case, when I sit before the Lord and listen for His promptings, I get a deeper revelation of His great kindness and love. He leads me into passages that I have always developed in the perception of anger and wrath over our sins and He redefines them in light of Jesus and love.

This little meditation set was no different. As I read and sang further, I saw He was describing His strength on our behalf to subdue all that oppresses us and His comfort in letting us know that He knows, He understands and He does not grow weary in encouraging us and teaching us - helping us to be "overcomers" just like Jesus. (Actually, it would be better to say "with Jesus, through Jesus and in Jesus". )

In verse 29 in particular, He says that He gives strength to the weary and to him who lacks might, He increases power. I pondered that - what do you give strength and power for, Lord?

Suddenly, one of our older saints began to pray Revelation 3:12-13 and it confirmed my thoughts:
12'He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will not go out from it anymore; and I will write on him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God, and My new name. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.'

It became clear that being an overcomer was the key and it brought me deeper into reading the passage in that light. I saw a clear encouragement that He helps us in our poverty of spirit, our meekness,etc.by supplying the power of love (grace) we need. Read it with me. The entire chapter of Isaiah 40 was about comforting God's people that her warfare had ended and He had removed her iniquity - by Whom? By His own power. He was coming in strength (get this) like a Shepherd carrying lambs in His bosom and gently leading nursing ewes. It was by His power, strength and tenderness that she would overcome - that she would live the Kingdom life by the strength of the King. He, Himself is the strength to the weary to overcome. As we wait for the Lord, He comes alongside us and gives us new strength - HIS- to mount up above our destitution with wings like eagles. We conquer the sins that beset us with His strength - not ours. Selah.

I love that we live in that story now with Jesus - the Good Shepherd. John 10:11

In Matthew 11 we see this idea repeated, "Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy laden and you will find rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28 

Actually, if you spend time in Matthew 11, you'll see that Matthew parallels Isaiah 40's description of the one crying out in the wilderness with Jesus speaking about John in this light and the in the same section, He describes Jesus as the supplier of strength and the answer to our struggle. He is the provider of power for him who lacks might. It is the lead in to "Come to me". He is clearly the gentle power supply. "Take my yoke upon you for my yoke is easy and my burden is light."


The following link is to a brief devotion by John Piper ( To the Rob Bell defenders... humility is called for. Have a listen. There is wisdom and awe in his heart for Jesus. He is due honor as a beloved brother. To those who don't understand this reference - good for you!)  Anyway - John is contemplating the very same thing from a different passage in scripture. The reference is different but the idea is the same... The God who sits above the circle of the earth is deeply, lovingly invested in providing the will and strength to live in the victory of being an "overcomer" and a pillar in the Temple of the Lord.
http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/your-acting-is-his-acting

No comments: